Perelel – CPG
What it is:
Perelel offers a range of vitamins for “every stage of womanhood.” Products are gluten-free, soy-free, non-GMO, and are 3rd party tested to ensure purity & potency. They use no colorants or synthetic fillers and utilize a no-nausea formulation that is gentle on the stomach.
Women can take a 3-second quiz and receive recommendations on appropriate products – they simply indicate they whether they are “trying to get pregnant, already pregnant, or have already given birth” – so they cover all sides of woman’s reproductive health.
Perelel offers pre-built “packs” that contain individual pouches of vitamins. They range from $38-$48/month. Formulations include:
- Women’s Daily Vitamin Trio
- Conception Support Pack
- 1st Trimester Prenatal Pack
- 2nd Trimester Prenatal Pack
- 3rd Trimester Prenatal Pack
- Mom Multi-Support Pack
They also offer a men’s multi-support pack, daily iron ease, libido support, PCOS support, and a probiotic.
The vitamin line was developed by an OB/GYN alongside a team of leading women’s health doctors.
Who Made It?
Perelel was founded in 2020 by Alexandra Taylor and Victoria Thain Gioia and is headquartered in Los Angeles. Both women experienced health challenges: Victoria’s daughter was born with a cleft lip – associated with folic acid deficiency – despite Victoria taking a prenatal vitamin with folic acid that she trusted. Alex received a thyroid diagnosis and had to educate herself on the importance of adjusting her vitamins as she moved through each phase of her pregnancy.
When they learned they were both going through a similar experience with prenatal vitamins, they discovered there was virtually no regulation in the prenatal industry, no ingredient specifications, and very little information about what should actually be in a prenatal vitamin. They developed the Perelel range to address these challenges with trimester-specific formulations, as well as other vitamins to support women in other reproductive stages.
The company raised $4.7M through a combination of Seed, Seed-1 and Seed-2 funding in a deal led by Unilever Ventures on July 19, 2022, putting the company’s pre-money valuation at $17M. Willow Growth Partners, Raissa Gerona, Courtney Reum, Whitney Port, Rocky Barnes, and 8 more investors also participated in the round.
Why we like it:
- Products were developed alongside what they call the “Perelel Panel” – an exclusive founding team featuring the nation’s top doctors, practitioners, and experts in women’s health
- Trimester-specific formulations address the needs of each pregnancy stage
- Individual packs make it convenient (no sorting from several larger pill bottles) which likely drives greater compliance with recommended dosages
- Prenatal vitamins, particularly ones with lots of iron, can be hard on the stomach and cause severe nausea. The fact that Perelel claims to have a “no nausea” formulation would also lead to more women taking these vitamins appropriately and on schedule
- The Mayo clinic says that ideally, women should be taking extra folic acid at last 3 months before pregnancy, and Perelel offers a conception support pack to support nutrition needs while a woman is trying to conceive
Did you know?
According to the Mayo Clinic, women need more folic acid and iron than usual during pregnancy. Folic acid helps prevent neural tube defects and iron supports the development of the placenta and fetus. Source